Happy World Oceans Day!
Help us celebrate!
At WiLDCOAST we celebrate World Oceans Day everyday by protecting what we love: THE OCEAN!
We have so much to thank the ocean for, most importantly, oxygen! Did you know that 50%-70% of the oxygen that we breathe comes from the ocean? Our oceans also provide food, recreation and natural beauty! How can we not love the ocean and all that it brings us?
So what can you do to take care of it?
· First, celebrate World Ocean’s Day everyday!! Take a moment each day to appreciate the ocean, whether that’s going surfing, taking a walk along the coastline or even listening to some ocean sounds at work!
· Change your lifestyle: First step—reduce your use of plastic! Get a stainless-steel water bottle that you can refill with water all the time, instead of buying plastic bottles of water. Also, say no to plastic bags, and get a reusable bag for grocery shopping! Simple things like this can make a huge difference for our oceans.
· Eat sustainable seafood: Billions of people rely on seafood as their primary source of protein, but thanks to unsustainable fishery practices, overfishing and pollution we are running out of fish! 90% of big fish are already gone and by 2050 scientist believe that we could have no more big fish in the ocean! Make the choice to eat sustainable seafood! Check out the Seafood Watch Guide that our partners at the Monterey Bay Aquarium provide to make it easy for you to make the right choice.
· Support Marine Protected Areas: With many of our fish stocks at historically low levels and damage to the overall marine environment becoming increasingly evident, Marine Protected Areas give the ocean the protection it needs to recover and replenish. Visit caloceans.org to learn more about what you can do to help!
· Volunteer: Attend a beach cleanup or get a group of friends and start your own local cleanup. And don’t forget cleanups in creeks, rivers and canyons! Stop the trash from reaching the ocean!
· Donate: WiLDCOAST would not exist without support from individuals who believe in protecting our natural resources, marine ecosystems and wildlife. Support our efforts and your ocean. Donate today.
Take care of our blue planet everyday! And let’s keep it BLUE!